mercredi 14 octobre 2009

Hear from the walker: Joan


Is it your first time doing the Oxfam Trailwalker Hong Kong?
It's going to be my seventh time, I can't believe how it happened, because i said to myself every year it was my last Trailwalker. I am saying it again: 2009 is MY LAST TRAILWALKER!

Why do you do the Oxfam Trailwalker?
Challenge I guess, also my friends are doing it, why cant I?! I started as support team to find doing the walk is more exciting, and registered in 2003 for my first one. From then on every year, there is a reason to come back and do it again. The best thing about Trailwalker is that it keeps up your daily weekly monthly training, you have a goal to go for in November. It's fun to do it with a gorup of friends.

What is your role in the Sport and Glamour team?
I am "mama san" of S&G team, my first Trailwalker team of all girls. I enjoy walking with these young girls who dont know what they are going into, but still determined to do it, I like this spirit. That's how I started, getting pain, struggling, and feeling rewarded at last.

Any memories so far?
Last weekend is our 36k race as a team, I was very exhausted after 28K wanting to drop out at the noodle shop (the famours noodle shop at half of Maclehose!), it was raining, getting dark, having no torch and I did already 20K the day before.....so lots of good reasons to escape. "No, you cant do this!!" Lorene was holding my rucksack as a sign of "no go". After a hot soup noodle, rain stopped a little bit, I was feeling rejuvenated. Finally resisted coming coach that could take me to Taipo MTR, I followed our girls up to Beacon Hill and finished the last 7k. I knew I would regret if left them and let them down, we are all so pleased that we finished the race as a team and our support team Paula!

What is your glamour symbol?

Feminine hobbies. I like stylish jewelry and clothes, not caring about brandname. I like colors and patterns on fabric and paper prints.

What is your sport attribute?
My pro-trek watch that can tell elevation (not very accurate as it works with temperature), compass, temp. it's a comfort by checking on my watch how much elevation achieved when going up hills. On my last Kilimanjaro trip, our head guide wanted to buy my watch as the same model turns out very expensive in Africa, evetually I didnt sell it.

What is your favorite hike in Hong Kong?
Hongkong Trail, Pat Sin in New Territory, the hike in Sai Kong leading to fish restaurants, Twins leading to Stanley....

What is your next challenge?

??? Not much elevation, Kilimanjaro should be the highest of my conquer. However, Tibet, Nepal, hikes in New Zealand, and some trails in Europe .... are on the bucket list.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire